Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day 7--A Setback that Wasn't Actually a Setback at All

So Labor Day weekend was a lot of fun! I got through both our parties on Sunday without giving in, and the pasta salad was, for the most part, a huge success. Win-win.  But Monday came around and after working all day, I went to my parents' house with incredibly low blood sugar, and I decided to eat something there.   This party did sandwich rings instead of grill food, so I made myself a turkey sandwich, and felt better almost immediately.  I was a little worried about how I'd deal with the upset, but it didn't really bother me.  I woke up today with the mission of researching more substantive vegan foods [more later].

As far as the rest of my diet went, I was surprisingly untempted by things I would typically never say no to:  giant coolers of Mountain Dew, cheesecake, broccoli salad, ranch dip for the veggies.  Unsurprisingly, I was so tempted by the smell of the grill, but I managed to resist.  I'm glad I didn't wait until after Labor Day to start this journey.  I can look back on the choices I made this weekend with pride.

So, foods with more "substance."  I had kind of been putting this part off, because I didn't know if I would like it.  I wasn't really raised on beans at all.  People would have baked beans at cookouts, and I knew I didn't like those, but as far as beans in our meals or as a side dish, it was never really a thing.  So not only did I never really develop the taste for them, I have no idea how to prepare them.  I know beans should be an essential part of a vegan diet, so that's my challenge for the week:  find three recipes that feature beans as a main ingredient, and try them out.  I'm starting tonight with black beans in chili--cheating a little because I already know I like black beans a little, but not really cheating because I'm 27 and I've never made chili in my life.  I guess there really is a first time for everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment