Sunday, January 8, 2012

TV-Free: Eating Dinner in the Dining Room

One week down, fifty-one to go.  It has certainly been a totally different house without the TV on!  My list of stuff to accomplish this year is getting continuously longer, and it got to the point where it was just overwhelming.  So Tuesday, my first day off since New Years, I was kind of left to my own devices and didn't know where to start.  I took some time to catch up on writing people I missed throughout the holiday season, made sure to update the blog, and then just kinda stared at the list, too intimidated to actually dig in.

Each passing day has gotten better, though.  Erica put her computer back in her office and is using that space for writing again, I rediscovered my love for Pandora Radio so the house isn't always so quiet, and there's always plenty of time to get all the household stuff done.  And even though I don't think I'm going to bed that much earlier, I'm way less tired in the morning for some reason.

By far the biggest accomplishment is something I'm kind of embarrassed to admit to: we've started eating dinner at the dining room table, instead of on the couch.  Before this challenge, even when we were cooking these fabulous meals, we always ate in front of the TV.  I'm willing to bet that a lot of people my age operate like this, but it is something I'm glad we're rectifying.  Not only does this habit encourage overeating, it also takes away from the quality of the meal, because your brain is being stimulated by the TV and not the food.  This is all stuff I've heard before, and trust me, I was not raised eating dinner in front of a TV.  For this one, the blame's all on me.  But I'm glad it's over.  I'm excited to watch TV again, but from here on out, I'm keeping dinner in the dining room!

No comments:

Post a Comment