Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 21--An Update on the Water-Only Adventure

We're getting close to rounding out the first half of our water-only 60-day stint.  For me, it hasn't really been too much of a challenge: once I decided I was going to do it, I was all in.

Well, I guess I should say my regular routine hasn't been too rough.  But that doesn't mean there hasn't been temptation.  I had an unexpected one the other day as I was Christmas shopping.  I was out all day, so when I got hungry I felt a natural pull to get an Auntie Anne's pretzel and a Coke.  I literally almost did this without even thinking about our water promise.  I caught myself in time, settled for a Subway 6-inch and a bottled water, but it wasn't later until I figured out why I had such a deep-seeded urge to grab that soda: it's an old shopping habit.

See,  I'm a "typical girl" in a lot of ways, but not so much when it comes to shopping.  I don't like doing it, and the mall is the worst offender.  So over the years, I've fallen into the habit of "treating" myself when I have to go. Usually Auntie Anne's and a Coke, sometimes a specialty coffee, or a smoothie.  It's such a habit I almost  slipped up on my commitment without thinking about it!

It got me thinking about all the empty calories I drink because I tell myself it's a treat; I tell myself I deserve it. At the grocery store, I used to always grab a Turkey Hill strawberry lemonade to drink on the way home.  At Target, it was an ice-cold Mountain Dew.  Every time we travel to either of our parent's houses, I have to stop for a mocha.  And since these are things I don't even think about, they're definitely not budgeted for.  I'm glad to be breaking this cycle.

I'm not trying to say that this type of grab-and-go isn't okay in moderation.  That's the very definition of a treat, right?  But I think for a lot of people, it becomes more of a habit than a conscious choice.  That's the case for me, certainly.  And I'm not that far away from the caffeine-addicted, strung out freak who drank over half her caloric intake on a daily basis.  I'm excited to have a cup of coffee again, don't get me wrong, but I'm really happy with the way things are now.  Just like vegan eating, drinking only water has put some of my choices under a microscope.  And when I'm done,  I think I'll have better tools for dealing with making these choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment